Your Ad Here

    • Followers

      Thursday, June 16, 2011

      Johnny Weir: The Grandest Marshal of Them All


      JW01A2 This Sunday, Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir will command a float down Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood as Grand Marshal of Christopher Street West's 41st annual Pride parade. It is the first time Weir has attached his name to a Gay Pride celebration.
      Though few were surprised to learn of the three-time U.S. National Champion’s sexual orientation when he officially came out in January, Weir was motivated to publicly declare “Yep, I’m gay” after last fall’s devastating wave of gay teen suicides. "With people killing themselves and being scared into the closet, I hope that even just one person can gain strength from my story,” he said at the time.
      Photos: John Paul Tran/MAC Cosmetics (left); Getty Images (below)
      Prior to coming out, Weir’s first turn of the closet door Alg_johnny_weir handle consisted of an act of charity involving Heatherette designer Traver Rains, with whom he collaborated to create limited-edition Spirit Day T-shirts that raised money for The Trevor Project. Like many LGBT youth, Weir experienced his share of harassment in high school. During a radio interview with Howard Stern, the Johnny Be Good star revealed, ''I got 'faggot,' I got 'Johnny Queer,' of course, all of that.... I never cried over anyone calling me anything. I never felt like I needed to defend myself.... I immediately went to that place where 'I'm better than you. So, whatever you say, you're trash, you're dirt.'''
      Johnnyshirtless Last month, Weir used his new visibility as a gay man to challenge the appointment of Peter Vidmar, a vocal proponent of Prop. 8, as chef de mission for the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team. Speaking to the Chicago Tribune, Johnny said, “I certainly wouldn’t want to be represented by someone who is anti gay marriage. It isn’t just about marriage, it is being allowed equal rights as Americans.” Weir’s comments immediately generated negative fallout for Vidmar, who resigned just 8 days after being appointed.

      In addition to taking down our opponents, Weir’s recent advocacy for LGBT causes has garnered him an HRC Visibility Award and inclusion on Out magazine’s annual "Out 100" list. Weir continues to support The Trevor Project, as well as, the Elton John AIDS Foundation. Additionally, he is hosting Gay Pride fashion events throughout the month of June at Macy’s department stores nationwide.
      Though it was Weir’s exceptional athleticism and flamboyant individuality that first captured our attention, it’s looking more and more like our focus will remain on him due to his contributions for the advancement of LGBT causes.
      We want to celebrate with you!
      Send us your Gay Pride photos. This year you can also upload videos from your phone!
      Share your Pride with everyone in 2011! And don’t forget to check out our Gay Pride Gallery.

      0 comments:

      Post a Comment

      Your Ad Here

      Subscribe To RSS

      Sign up to receive latest news